Medical Forensic Sexual Assault Examinations: What Are They, and What Can They Tell the Courts?
This module will enable victim advocates to:
- Understand the purposes and components of the medical forensic sexual assault examination;
- Form accurate expectations regarding the injuries a sexual assault victim might sustain;
- Understand the kinds of evidence medical forensic sexual assault examinations may produce;
- Understand the limitations on what this evidence can “prove” in court;
- Help victims manage their own expectations as to what forensic medical evidence can “prove” in court; and
- Know how victim advocates can offer victims support, safety planning, and information before, during, and after the examination.